This is one of my favorite soups. I could eat it every day, it’s so tasty and nutritious! A good soup does wonders for the body and soul. Soups offer a certain comfort that other foods lack. They’re also a vehicle for nutrient dense ingredients.
Butternut squash is an excellent source of vitamin A and one of the healthiest starches you can get. It has a gentle sweetness to it which pairs well with a bold curry flavors and embraces the sweetness of apple. Apple and butternut squash naturally compliment each other. They’re harvested at the same time of year and are high in fiber. When Fall comes around, this is one of the first soups I whip up.
It’s become a staple in my house and I hope you’ll enjoy it just as much.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1 lb butternut squash, cut into cubes
- 3 granny smith apples, cut into cubes
- 1 litre homemade chicken stock
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- Heat oil in a large pot, add onions and garlic and simmer until golden.
- Add curry powder, salt, butternut squash and apple chunks and cover with chicken stock.
- Allow to simmer for about 30 minutes until butternut squash is soft.
- Use an immersion blender or add to your blender in batches to create a smooth creamy consistency.