These symptoms are no fun, and I say that having had all of them for over ten years. That’s why today, I want to give you a few easy gut healing protocols so that if you are dealing with any of these, you can use them right away. It’s all about knowing what to feed your body based on what it needs most. Often, this is a combination of food, lifestyle, and some supplementation.
Now, before you dive into these protocols, please know this: If you have these symptoms, and maybe you’ve had them for quite awhile, 99.9% of the time, there is a much deeper underlying cause. H.pylori, for example, can trigger acid reflux. And the very antacids we’re put on for acid reflux can, too. Seriously. And bloating can be the result of everything from dysbiosis like SIBO (an imbalance of bad to good gut bacteria) to food allergies. Constipation can be due to maldigestion due to lack of enzymes, or even an emotional trauma.
So when someone comes to me with these complaints, my very first step is to always take a step back and find out the underlying cause. Because we can chase symptoms all day, but if we don’t know what’s actually causing it, we won’t ever truly remove the symptom, right?
That can cause symptoms to morph, worsen, or simply linger. And this is where so many people get stuck, and eventually come to practitioners like myself. They’re sick of the medications, the trial-and-error, and, maybe most important of all, wasting so much time and money on an issue that, quite honestly, can be a whole heck of a lot easier to remove if you just look for the root cause.
For the purpose of this post, I want to give you a few protocols to relieve each of these that are totally natural and will support your body’s natural healing, but I encourage you to not stop there.
Dig in and find out why you have bloating, reflux, or constipation. And if you’re wondering how to even go about doing that, this is actually the core of what we’ll be doing in my upcoming Love Your Gut group program. More on that later…
Without further ado, here are some of my favorite protocols to heal some of the most common digestive complaints. I can’t wait for you to begin implementing them.
- Introduce digestive herbs such as ginger, fennel, anise, and cardamom
- Slowly introduce a good quality probiotic
- Remove dairy and sugar alcohols from your diet
- Take digestive enzymes with each meal
- Chew your food really, really well
- Get tested for food sensitivities, pathogens (e.g. candida) and SIBO
Protocol: Acid Reflux (GERD)
- Mix 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar and 1/2 fresh squeezed lemon with water and drink first thing in the morning
- Increase probiotic-rich foods and take a good quality probiotic
- Avoid caffeine and sugar (I know, I know…)
- Drink fennel tea daily
- Take an enteric coated peppermint oil daily
- Get tested for h.pylori and IgG food sensitivities
- Stay very hydrated
- Consume enough fiber in your diet (flax seeds, chia seeds, and celery are a good place to start – especially celery juice)
- Mix rosemary or fennel essential oil with a carrier oil and massage into abdomen
- Do a gentle yogic twist (lay on floor; pull knees toward chest; twist knees to right side and turn head to left. . . reverse)
- Supplement with magnesium, probiotics, vitamin c, psyllium husk, digestive enzymes, and aloe vera juice
- Get tested for IgG food sensitivities, candida and parasites, SIBO, and a comprehensive thyroid panel
Ready to finally get to the “why” behind these symptoms? I’d love to have you join my fall Love Your Gut group program. Learn all about it here. If you have any friends or family members that struggle with these issues too, please send this email to them and ask them to sign up with you. You can “buddy up” with them and support each other on the journey together! I’m opening up 10 spots for free 1:1 consults so you can find out if this program is right for you. Schedule a time with me here if you are interested in learning all about it and chatting with me for a bit!
I sincerely hope these protocols are useful to you!