People always ask me about probiotics. Which one’s work? Do they need to be refrigerated? How many billions of cultures do you need to consume each day?
By now you know just how important probiotics are, and maybe you’ve even incorporated some fermented foods (like these) into your diet. Taking a supplement will put your gut health on the fast track to recovery.
So here’s what you need to look for in a probiotic…
- Live active cultures
- No sugar added to jumpstart fermentation (typically used with cheaper brands)
- Enterically coated for serious digestive issues
- A few different strains including L.acidophilus and L.bifidus bacteria
- At least 10 billion cultures (50 billion for those of you with chronic digestive issues)
- Non-GMO certified
Some of my favorite probiotic brands include…
- Megasporebiotic – This is the only probiotic with 5 pharmaceutical grade bacillus spore strains. Spores are designed to survive through the gastric system and colonize well to produce the needed effects. You can read more about it here. This brand is only sold through certified practitioners like myself, and you can place an order here (use patient direct code ‘thrivebyfood’.)
- Proflora – This is a unique probiotic in that, not only does it have a variety of good bacteria strains, it has other gut-healing ingredients like quercetin, marshmallow root and aloe. This is a great option if you’re dealing with inflammation.
- Probiota Sensitive – Like Proflora, Probiota Sensitive by Seeking Health has an amazing mix of not only good bacteria, but anti-inflammatory ingredients, too. It’s great for anyone with a really sensitive stomach or going through a flare as it helps to calm and normalize the system fast.
- VSL #3 – This is a particularly good probiotic for those of you with ulcerative colitis (like me!). It has 112.5 billion bacteria per capsule and 8 probiotic strains, so it’s very potent and effective. This one must be refrigerated.
- Prescript-Assist – This is a highly potent probiotic with 29 strains of beneficial microflora.
- Primal Defense Ultra— – I also love these ones because they include probiotics from beneficial soil microbes. There are 15 billion cultures and they use only microorganisms which can survive the acidic environment of the stomach. You can get Primal Defense here.
- RenewLife 50 Billion—Many of my clients take this probiotic, as it is a very reputable company when it comes to digestive wellness. It has 50 billion CFU and 10 different probiotic strains.
The most important thing is to give your probiotic time to work it’s magic. Especially if your gut’s lining is damaged from toxins and digestive disease, it can take a few months to truly restore balance. It’s also a good idea to rotate between probiotics by switching them up every few months. You can do that by rotating between the above probiotics.
After a month or so, you should notice…
- Improved digestion
- Stronger immune health
- Better mood
- Clearer skin
If you would like to set up a consultation to discuss what probiotic is best for you, review your gut health history and walk through a plan to help heal your gut, book a single session here.
To your gut health!