How healthy your digestive system is depicts what shows up health wise in your outer world. That means that, more often than not, if you’re depleted of energy, have adult acne, get sick often and are bloated, you can chalk that all up to poor digestion. So to fix it all, you first need to restore your gut health.
But knowing where to start and, maybe more importantly, having the time to make foods to heal your body are hard when you’re already juggling a busy life. That’s where this smoothie comes in. It’s one of my many easy ways for you to begin incorporating recipes to reestablish a healthy intestinal flora.
This smoothie is loaded with beneficial microbes and should be a daily addition to your diet. I make this one often and find it’s really helped in restoring my gut health.
First, I want to explain why each of the ingredients in the below recipe are so powerful for gut health.
My Favorite Gut Health Smoothie Ingredients
- Ground flax – high in fiber and has a mucosal effect in the gut
- Kefir or water kefir – contains diverse unique bacteria strains different from yogurt
- Coconut yogurt or regular plain organic yogurt – high in beneficial bacteria
- Berries – tasty, high in healthy fiber and antioxidants
- Flax seed oil – for its ability to help lubricate the intestinal tract
- Cod liver oil – for omega-3 and gut nourishing enzymes
- Cinnamon – for its blood sugar stabilizing effects
- Banana – for its prebiotic power
Put these together and you’ve got yourself a super powerful smoothie for helping your gut get strong and healthy. And in turn you help your whole body, and that’s what holistic health is all about!
- 1 ½ Cups dairy free milk
- ½ Cup kefir or yogurt
- 1 Cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 banana
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax seeds
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon your preferred oil - flax, Udo’s oil or cod liver oil
- Handful of your favorite greens- spinach, kale, mixed greens
- Add all ingredients to your blender and process until super smooth.
If you’re interested in restoring your digestion and boosting your energy, then check out my new program, Love Your Gut.In this program, you’ll get a ton of easy and delicious recipes as well as strategies that will help rebuild your intestinal flora.
Or join me on my Facebook page where I’ll be sharing more information, tips and recipes to help you live an energized, healthy life.