Parsnips are a food that many people shy away from because they don’t know what the heck to do with them. I didn’t up until a few years ago!
Parsnips are a staple for many top chefs because they’re naturally creamy and luxurious. As humble of a vegetable as they might appear, parsnips are quite versatile and dynamic.
My favorite way to enjoy parsnips is in this super simple creamy parsnip soup. It really hits the spot on a chilly Fall or Winter day and it can be enjoyed cold in the summer.
Give parsnips a chance and you might just end up with a new favorite root vegetable like me!
If you’re looking to lose weight and improve your gut health it’s all about making small changes. Swapping out starchy grains and potatoes for low glycemic parsnips is just one of the things that can get you closer to your goal.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 large parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 cups broth (chicken or vegetable) or water
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ cup dairy-free milk of your choice
- Place a large pot on a medium flame and add coconut oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the celery and onion. Sauté for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add parsnips, poultry seasoning, and broth (or water) along with sea salt and black pepper. Allow the mixture to come to a boil.
- Then lower the flame and simmer for 20 minutes.
- When the parsnips are tender, remove from heat.
- You can use an immersion blender to make the soup smooth or blend it in batches using a high speed blender.
- When the soup is blended, add it back to the pot and add the dairy-free milk.
- Reheat the soup.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
Want even more nourishing healthy recipes to help you lose weight, improve your digestion and increase your energy?
Check out my new program Love Your Gut!
Or join me on my Facebook page where I’ll be sharing more information, tips and recipes to help you live a happier, more energized life.