I see it time and again: Clients come to me with a cabinet overflowing with supplement bottles in an effort to “cure” their chronic illness…yet they don’t feel any better. Many of these people have been taking these supplements for months or years, spending, on average $200-$400 PER MONTH. But natural supplements are supposed to be a healthier and safer route, so what’s going on?!
Supplements ARE great…but ONLY if they’re taken appropriately. In most cases, people don’t take them on any sound basis, but instead taken because a friend or family member had good luck with it, their favorite blogger recommended it, or they saw an ad for it on their favorite natural health blog.
First, I want to explain why only supplementing isn’t going to put your illness into remission or make remarkable changes to your health. Then, I’ll explain step-by-step what to do instead (this is the same process I walk my own clients through).
Here’s why supplementation alone won’t work for you:
- If you’re ONLY taking supplements and not changing your diet and lifestyle to support your wellbeing, you’re only prolonging the underlying issue. EVERYTHING needs to be addressed in parallel, supplements are only part of the equation.
- If you’re taking supplements without first TESTING to see what you actually need, you could be making issues worse. Taking too much of something you don’t need could cause toxicity in the body (vitamins are a great example).
- If you’re chronically stressed, or you’re stressed by how many supplements you’re taking, then your body is too exhausted to do much with them in the first place. In the end, all you have is VERY expensive pee!
Any of these ring a bell? Now, here’s how to strategically supplement AND improve all of your health efforts and expenses:
A Step-by-Step Process for Strategic Supplementation
- Test, test, test! Micronutrient tests are a great way to find out what your body actually needs. This can show us if you’re deficient in magnesium, B vitamins, glutathione, vitamin K2, zinc, copper, and so on. With this information, you can know you’re taking exactly what your body needs and nothing extra.
- Find out the “why”. Next, WHY are you deficient in certain nutrients? If you’re low in magnesium and B vitamins, for example, are you chronically stressed? This can cause high cortisol and your body to burn through these nutrients. Run a comprehensive hormone and adrenal panel to find out what’s going on. Or if you’re deficient in a lot of key nutrients, the issue could be in the gut. In that case, run a comprehensive stool test that also looks for leaky gut. This will help you determine if nutrients are actually “leaking”, or not properly absorbing, in the intestines. In that case, you should absolutely prioritize fixing your gut health before spending anything more on nutrient supplements.
- Get honest about your stress. If you’re stressed more often than not, your body is running in basic survival mode, not repair mode. That means that even despite taking the best supplements out there, your body isn’t in a place to do much with them, so you NEED to get stress in check first before doing anything else.
- Clean up your diet. If inflammatory foods are still in your diet, that can be damaging to the gut AND stressful on the body. For the next 30 days, try cutting out ALL wheat gluten, refined sugar, pasteurized dairy, non-GMO soy, and possibly even eggs, alcohol and caffeine (other common triggers for many people). It’s also a good idea to run a food sensitivity panel to find out what other foods, even healthy foods, your body is sensitive to. Removing all triggers will calm the body down and help your gut to repair. This will allow more nutrients to absorb and function to restore itself.
I was that girl who used to take EVERY supplement I learned about. I quickly learned they weren’t what I needed AT ALL. There went a thousand dollars down the drain (whoopsss!!). I don’t want that for you, which is why I’m giving you this advice.
The tips I just gave you will help you rebalance your body holistically. This way, it can work on its own without a lifelong need to supplement. Because who wants to do that?! 😉
Get a Jumpstart on This
This all may seem like a lot to tackle and maintain, but if you’re ready to get these answers and overhaul your supplement game, I can absolutely help you! Typically I work with clients in a 4-month program on all of this, but because I believe micronutrient testing is so key and can be a great way to begin this entire process, for a limited time I’m allowing new patients to purchase a SINGLE session with me to run this test.
In your session, I’ll review your results with you and give you other recommendations and areas to look. At that point, if you’d like to continue on that journey with me, you absolutely can! (But there is NO obligation to at all 🙂 )
Buy a single session and I’ll be in touch right away to get your lab kit out to you (lab fee NOT included in session price).
Also note: In my 4-month program, each session price is reduced when you buy in a package, so if you already know you want to go through this entire process and be guided by an expert like myself, book a free 20-min discovery call and we’ll talk about your health goals and how we’d work together in my 4-month program.